The Importance of Vulnerability Testing
Cybersecurity is a growing concern for anyone that is operating a business today. As our technology advances, so do the threats that we face. We must work to stay ahead of these hazards with security services that do more than just defend. You need security testing precautions that actively learn from encounters with malicious software or hazards like phishing attacks and data breaches.
Attacks like this can result in lost or corrupted data. That kind of consequence will impact your revenue and the trust that your customers have placed in you. Those are two things that are very difficult to earn back once they are gone. This makes it essential to learn as much as we can about the threats to you and the weak points in your own systems. One of the ways that we gather this threat intelligence is with vulnerability assessments.
What is a Vulnerability Assessment?
It is pretty common for vulnerability assessments and penetration testing to be lumped in the same category. When it comes to vulnerability vs. penetration testing, the truth is that they are two different strategies for increasing your security maturity and a superior security program will include both approaches. A vulnerability scan is a focused examination of your systems, your network, and of its access points.
This is followed by an assessment that digs deeper into the data gathered, presents solutions, and provides risk management for the threats that you are dealing with. It is a detailed process that results in a more dynamic and proactive approach to your security.
- Collecting data and understanding the gathered information about your systems.
- A review of the results and applying hard risk numbers to your operating systems, applications, ports, and services.
- Discovery of the actual vulnerabilities and reporting to shore up, configure, or debug the weakness we find.
The Advantages of Vulnerability Assessment
A vulnerability scan is not enough to protect your operations. You need a security provider with vulnerability assessment training and the skills to implement the changes that are offered by the assessment process. There are several advantages that come with working alongside a service provider with the tools and techniques to strengthen your weaknesses:
- Detect security weaknesses before attackers do.
- An inventoried list of all the devices on your network, with their purpose.
- A listing of vulnerabilities for each device.
- Preparation for future upgrades.
- Established security record for later assessments.
- A defined risk assessment for your entire network.
- A plan for the risks vs. benefits of optimizing your security investments.
These are just some of the benefits that come with partnering with a certified vulnerability assessor. In the end, the most crucial factors are gaining a better understanding of the threats you face, the weaknesses in your systems, and the ways to respond appropriately. Strategies like this cannot be left to the last minute or after you have already experienced a data breach. This is a proactive approach to maintaining the integrity of your entire operation.